Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Day 23

Leftover watercress, duck, and brown rice for lunch.  For dinner I made the Mangalorean Pork Curry in the Holiday issue of Lucky Peach.  If you don't have the mag, this recipe from The Tiffin Box looks similar.  The supermarket near our place didn't have tamarind and in this weather an ingredient safari was not happening so I subbed the juice of three Key limes and about a teaspoon of sugar.  Since I didn't follow the recipe exactly I'm not going to pass judgment on it but if I make it again I'll make sure to use the tamarind; I think it would have given it a little extra depth of flavor.

To accompany we had brown rice and cauliflower "pilaf".  I whizzed up some chopped cauliflower in the food processor until the pieces were roughly couscous sized, then sauteed it with caramelized onions, a few dashes of curry powder, and a handful of golden raisins.  Forgot salt which would have improved the results.

I was startled when I started to open a package of brown rice we had sitting around and noticed it was enriched.  It didn't list iodine as one of the added vitamins but I got a pack of non-enriched rice anyway.  Possibly overkill but it's not like we'll be sorry we have some extra rice on hand when the LID is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment