Sunday, February 1, 2015

Day 9

Breakfast: Vegan almond meal banana muffins prepared by very good natured visiting friend.  Beef and Bayley Hazen Pie from A Girl and Her Pig.  For breakfast, you say? It was meant to be for dinner the previous night but this recipe was quite a bit more involved than I had bargained for.  I left out the Bayley Hazen, used Cup4Cup flour, greased the pan with oil instead of butter, and skipped the milk and egg wash.  I got the tutorial for preparing suet here and let me just say, that was a trial even for someone who usually finds rendering fat deeply satisfying.  The smells and the leftover bits are far less appetizing than working with pork or chicken fat.  Thank goodness I could shred the suet in the food processor for rendering. I grated it by hand when I was preparing the solidified rendered fat to make the dough.

I'll definitely make this recipe again with Stilton or Bayley Hazen and probably some other filling variations.  If I make it while on LID I would up the salt by a few teaspoons.  Maybe throw in some carrots.  I might also try a different flour blend, the Cup4Cup was a little bitter.  Most importantly, I will start the prep at least two days before I intend to serve it!

Lunch: Pie.  There's still a lot. It's going to be in my life for a while.

Dinner: Brown rice. Eggplant and chickpeas with tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment